Flamingo Gardens is a 60-acre (24 ha), not-for-profit wildlife sanctuary, aviary, and botanical garden located just west of Fort Lauderdale. The Gardens were originally the property of Floyd L. and Jane Wray, who in 1933 built a home and citrus grove on what was then the edge of the Everglades, where they started a botanical collection of tropical and subtropical fruit trees and shrubs. After decades of delighting the public with their home and gardens, Mr. Wray passed away in 1969. Mrs. Wray established the Floyd L. Wray Memorial Foundation to honor her late husband and to preserve the property and its gardens for future generations. The Wray Home is now a museum illustrating a country home in the early 1930s.